Monday, April 19, 2010

Lesson #7: Beans, beans really are a magical fruit...

Jillian loves beans. She loves them so much that they're actually listed in her book as "POWER NUTRIENT FOOD GROUP #1," with red beans being the "BEST CHOICE."Not the kind that squish out of a can still looking like the can, but the real kind. The kind you have to soak overnight so you can eat 'em without breaking a tooth. The kind I walked past in the store for going on two decades of being a grown-up and cooking for myself. The kind I always wondered about, who actually took the time to make things with those bags'o'beans. The kind I made my turkey chili out of for dinner tonight.

White beans and red beans, ground turkey and homemade tomato sauce (basically tomatoes, onions, and a red pepper blended all up in my food processor until the parts were unidentifiable) and some seasonings. Yummy fresh and good chili.

Along with some cornbread, which I admit was from a box, but it was an organic mix, so all is still right with the world.

Just a half-of-a-soup-bowl full, and I'm all-the-way full. Which makes sense bc according to Miss Michaels, beans are one of the richest sources of soluble fiber. And they also "increase your post-meal fat burn" and we all love that, right? So yes, beans are a magical fruit, but not for the reasons most kids like to eat 'em!

On an unrelated note, if Kate Gosselin makes it through another round of Dancing with the Stars, I think I'll have to stop watching it. ABC, we're onto you!!! Dirty little network, rigging the voting so you can keep your dance-impaired diva!!!

Until next time, may your food be real, and may all your meals be magical!!

No comments:

Post a Comment