Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lesson #4: Bacon cooks faster than I can shower

Before you attack me for being a hypocrite, the bacon was organic turkey bacon, so there!

One of my favorite presents of all time from my husband is my electric griddle. It's a running joke in my family that I always get movies for every holiday and special occasion from him, and until this past Christmas, they were movies HE wanted to see. Really. I once got for a birthday or maybe a Mother's day a copy of Alien v. Predator. Seems like that's a punchline to a really bad joke, but I did. It hasn't been that bad since. Probably because I cried. Now I just buy myself stuff and tell him and that seems to work out best for both of us. Anyway, one year I asked for an electric griddle and he, understandably, worried that it was the kind of gift women ask for and then get mad if their husbands actually buy. Like a vacuum. (Is that spelled right? That doesn't look like it's spelled right). But I really wanted one. I love to make big breakfasts and you just can't pull them off without a big electric skillet.

So on tonight's menu--stuffed spuds (Jillian says it's okay to eat potatoes, yes it is, just not all the time, so don't yell at me), with organic turkey bacon, real butter, and cheese. Not the healthiest of meals, calorie-wise, but all real I tell ya.

And I thought I'd manage my time wisely by starting the bacon while I took my shower since I was still stinky from my morning at the gym, but it turns out that bacon cooks a lot faster, or I shower a lot slower, than I thought. Because I came out sporting my towel turban to a cloud of greasy-smelling smoke in my kitchen.

Down the garbage disposal went the black bacon. Luckily, there was enough to still stuff our spuds, and I stuck around to make sure the rest didn't catch fire on my griddle.

Until next time, may your food be real and your showers be long unless you're cooking bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment